hello
exclamation, noun uk/heˈləʊ/ us/heˈloʊ/ (also mainly UK hallo); (hullo)
A1 喂,你好(用于问候或打招呼)
used when meeting or greeting someone
Hello, Paul. I haven't seen you for ages. “你好,保罗。好久不见了。”
I know her vaguely - we've exchanged hellos a few times. 我对她不太熟悉——我们只是打过几次招呼。
I just thought I'd call by and say hello. 我刚想要去顺道拜访问候一下。
And a big hello (= welcome) to all the parents who've come to see the show. 非常欢迎所有来看演出的家长们。
A1 (打电话时的招呼语)你好,喂
something that is said at the beginning of a phone conversation
"Hello, I'd like some information about flights to the US, please." “你好,我想咨询一些你们飞往美国的航班信息。”
(引起别人注意的招呼语)
something that is said to attract someone's attention
The front door was open so she walked inside and called out, "Hello! Is there anybody in?" 前门开着,于是她走进去喊道:“喂!有人在吗?”
informal(表示认为某人言行愚蠢可笑,尤指对正在发生的事不注意)
said to someone who has just said or done something stupid, especially something that shows they are not noticing what is happening
She asked me if I'd just arrived and I was like "Hello, I've been here for an hour." 她问我是否刚刚到,我回答她说“嗨,我已经到这儿一个小时了。”
old-fashioned(表示惊讶)
an expression of surprise
Hello, this is very strange - I know that man. 嘿,这可真奇怪——我认识那个人。
- More examples
- Cathy poked her head round the door to say hello.
- When he said hello, I felt my face turn bright red.
- Hello - could I speak to Ann, please?
- After we'd said our hellos, it all went quiet and nobody knew what to do.
- Oh, hello - what are you doing in here?