give
verb uk/ɡɪv/ us/ɡɪv/ gave | given
(PROVIDE)
A1 [ I or T ]送给;提供;赠与;给予
to offer something to someone, or to provide someone with something
[ + two objects ] She gave us a set of saucepans as a wedding present. 她送我的结婚礼物是一套深平底锅。
Can you give me a date for another appointment? 我能再和您约个时间吗?
They never gave me a chance/choice. 他们从来就没给过我机会/选择余地。
Has the director given you permission to do that? 主任允许你那样做了吗?
[ + adv/prep ] We always try to give to charity. 我们总是尽量向慈善机构捐款捐物。
We're collecting for the children's home - please give generously. 我们是在为儿童福利院募捐——请慷慨解囊。
The police gave (out) road-safety booklets to the children (= gave them to all the children). 警方向孩子们分发道路交通安全的宣传册。
Please give (up) your seat to an elderly or disabled person if they need it. 如果老年人或残疾人士需要你让座,请配合。
B1 [ T ]支付;付(款)
to pay someone a particular amount
I gave the taxi driver £20 and told him to keep the change. 我给了出租车司机20英镑,让他把余下的留下当小费。
give of your money, time, etc.formal (尤指慷慨地)献出金钱/投入时间/付出最大努力(等等)
to give your money, time, or best efforts, especially in a way that seems generous
We're very grateful to all the people who have given of their time. 我们非常感谢所有投入了宝贵时间的人。
UK She wasn't feeling well, so I don't think she gave of her best tonight. 她感觉不太舒服,所以我认为她今晚没有发挥出最佳状态。
give (something) your allold-fashioned (US also give (something)your best) 全力以赴(做某事),不遗余力(做某事)
to put a lot of effort into doing something
We must be finished by tonight, so I want you to give it your all. 我们今晚一定要做完,所以我希望你们要全力以赴。
A2 [ T ]告诉;说出;说明
to tell someone something
The winner's name was given (out)/They gave the winner's name (out) on the news. 获胜者的名字在新闻报道中公布了/新闻报道公布了获胜者的名字。
[ + two objects ] Can you give Jo a message for me? 你能替我给乔捎个口信吗?
[ T ]判处(某人监禁)
to punish someone by sending them to prison for a particular period
[ + two objects ] If you're found guilty, they'll give you three years. 如果你被裁定有罪,他们会判你3年监禁。
B1 [ T ]给…限定期限;限定,规定(时间)
to allow a person or activity a particular amount of time
[ + two objects ] I'm nearly ready - just give me a couple of minutes. 我快准备好了——再给我两三分钟就可以。
[ T ] informal估计将持续(…时间)
to calculate that something will last a particular amount of time
[ + two objects ] Look at that old car she bought - I give it two weeks before it breaks down. 看看她买的那辆老爷车吧——我估计两星期就得坏。
- More examples
- Can you give any evidence to support your claim?
- I'm never going to guess the answer if you don't give me a clue.
- The letters that people wrote after his death gave me a lot of comfort.
- A loving family environment gives children that sense of stability and permanence which they need.
- I'm a bit wary of/about giving people my address when I don't know them very well.
(CAUSE)
B1 [ T ]生产,产生;引起
to produce or cause something
[ + two objects ] The fresh air gave us an appetite (= made us hungry). 新鲜的空气使得我们胃口大开。
What you said has given me an idea. 你的话使我产生了一个想法。
The alarm gave (out) a high-pitched sound. 警报器发出一声尖厉的声音。
give someone to understand somethingformal 使(某人)知道(某事);使(某人)相信(…确有其事)
to tell someone something or cause someone to think that something is true
I was given to understand she was staying at this hotel. 别人告诉我她住在这家旅馆。
- More examples
- The photocopier is giving me all sorts of problems.
- The noise and heat of the office was giving him a headache.
- The success of the team gave the manager great satisfaction.
- The teacher's comments gave her confidence.
- The red carpet gave the ceremony a real sense of occasion.
(DO)
A2 [ T ]做(动作)
to perform an action
[ + two objects ] She gave me a smile/strange look. 她向我微笑了一下/用奇怪的眼神看了我一眼。
They had to give the car a push to start it. 他们只好推着汽车把它发动起来。
Give me a call/ring (= phone me) when you get back from holiday. 你度假回来后给我打个电话。
Who is giving the speech/lecture/concert? 谁要讲演/作报告/举行音乐会?
A2 [ T ]举办,举行
to organize a party, meal, etc.
They're always giving parties. 他们老是举办聚会。
The ambassador is giving a banquet for the visiting president. 大使将举办宴会欢迎来访的总统。
give something a go 尝试,试做
to attempt something
Only a few people are successful as professional athletes, but it's worth giving it a go. 只有极少数职业运动员能取得成功,但是却很值得去尝试一下。
[ T + two objects ] formal(尤指在正式宴会上)提议为(某人)干杯
to say publicly that everyone present at a formal occasion, especially a meal, should drink a toast to someone (= have a drink in honour of someone)
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the president! 先生们,为总统干杯!
- More examples
- To celebrate his birthday, Tony gave a party.
- The producer gave a party to thank all the people who had helped in the making of the film.
- She gave a sigh of relief as the car came to a stop.
- Just give the ends a trim, please.
- If you don't give it a go, you'll never know what you could have achieved.
(STRETCH)
[ I ](在压力下)伸长,弯曲,断裂,变松
If something gives, it stretches, bends, or breaks, or becomes less firm or tight, under pressure.
The rope gave under/with the weight of the load. 装载的东西太沉,绳子断掉了。
The shoes will give a little after you've worn them once or twice. 鞋穿过一两次后就不那么紧了。
figurative You can't work so hard all the time - something will have to give (= change). 你不能总是那么没日没夜地拼命工作——有些事必须得变一变了。
figurative Suddenly her patience gave (out) and she shouted angrily at the children. 她突然失去了耐心,冲着孩子们怒吼起来。
(DECIDE)
[ T + obj + adj ] UK裁定,判(球员或球所处的位置)
in some sports, to decide and state officially that a player or the ball is in a particular condition or place
The umpire gave the batsman out. 裁判员判击球手出局。
The ball was clearly out, but the line judge gave it in. 球明显出界,但是边裁却判定是界内球。
Idioms
don't give me that!idiom informal (表示不相信)别跟我来这一套!别以为我会相信你!
don't expect me to believe that, because I know it is untrue
"But I was going to let you have it tomorrow." "Don't give me that!" “但我本来打算明天把它给你的。”“别跟我来这一套!”
give as good as you getidiom (尤指在争论或打斗中)针锋相对,以眼还眼,以牙还牙
to be strong and confident enough to treat people in the same way that they treat you, especially in an argument or a fight
There's a lot of teasing and fighting among the crew, and you have to be able to give as good as you get. 船员们会经常相互挑衅打斗,你一定要以牙还牙。
give or takeidiom 相差不到…,出入至多…
possibly a little more or less than the amount or time mentioned
It'll be ready at 6:00, give or take a few minutes. 这个6点就会准备好,顶多相差几分钟。
It cost £200, give or take . 它的价格为200英镑,出入不会太大。
give me ... any day/every time!idiom informal 我宁愿要…!我更喜欢…!我宁可选择…!
used to say that you always like or prefer a particular thing
This new stuff is all very well, but give me the old-style weather forecast any day! 这种新玩艺儿倒也不错,但是我还是更喜欢以前的天气预报方式。
give wayidiom C1 UK (US yield)让(其他车辆)先行
to allow other vehicles to go past before you move onto a road
You have to give way to traffic coming from the right. 你得让右边驶来的车辆先行。
C2 (尤指在很大的压力下)坍塌,垮掉
to break, especially when under pressure from strong forces
Because of an unusually strong current, the bridge's central support gave way, tipping a coach into the river. 因为遭遇罕见的湍急洪流的冲击,桥中心的支座坍塌,一辆长途客车被掀进了河里。
让步,屈服
to stop arguing or fighting against someone or something
Neither of them will give way, so they could be arguing for a very long time. 他们两个谁也不会让步,所以他们会吵好长时间。
Don't give way to your fears. 不要怕。
give someone what foridiom old-fashioned informal 严厉斥责(某人)
to speak angrily to someone whose behaviour you strongly disapprove of
given the chance/choiceidiom (also given half a chance) 要是允许我这么做的话;要是让我选择的话
if I were allowed to, or if I could choose
Given the chance, I'd spend all day reading. 要是让我选,我会把一整天时间都用来读书的。
what I wouldn't give for somethingidiom (also what wouldn't I give for something) 很想得到,渴望得到
used to say that you want something very much
What I wouldn't give for a cold drink! 我多想来杯冷饮啊!
I would give anything/a lotidiom (also I would give my right arm) 愿意付出一切(以得到某物或做某事)
used to say that you would like to have or to do something very much
I'd give anything to see the Taj Mahal. 谁要是能让我去参观泰姬陵,他要什么我都愿意给。
Janice would give her right arm for a house like that. 要是能得到那样一套房子,贾尼丝什么都愿意做。
Phrasal verbs More phrasal verbs
give something awayB1 赠送;捐赠;免费分发
to give something to someone without asking for payment
The shop is giving away a sample to every customer. 商店赠送给每一位顾客一个样品礼包。
Nobody wants this type of heater any more - I can't even give it away! 这种加热器没人再愿意要了——我连白送都送不出去!
See also: giveaway noun (GIFT)
B2 泄露,暴露(秘密)
to tell people something secret, often without intending to
The party was meant to be a surprise, but Sharon gave it away. 办这个聚会本来是要给大家一个惊喜,可是沙伦泄漏了秘密。
I won't give the game (= the information or plan) away. 我不会泄密的。
(体育比赛中)因为犯错(或执行不佳)让对手有机会得分(或取胜)
to allow an opponent to score a goal or win a game by making a mistake or doing something very badly
You can't give away goals as easily as we did and win games at this level. 在这样的层次上,如果像我们这样轻易让对手进球的话,你是不可能取胜的。
give someone away 显露(某人)的感情;暴露(某人)的内心世界
to show someone's secret feelings
She thinks no one knows how much she likes him, but her face when I said he'd be there really gave her away! 她以为没有人知道她多么喜欢他,但是当我说他要去那儿时,她的表情把她的内心情感暴露无遗!
formal(在婚礼上)将(新娘)交给(新郎)
in a marriage ceremony, to formally bring a woman who is getting married to the front of the church so that she is standing at the side of her future partner, and then to give permission for her to marry
The bride was given away by her father. 新娘的父亲把她交给了新郎。
give something backA2 还,归还
to return something to the person who gave it to you
Has she given you those books back yet? 她把那些书还给你了吗?
give inB1 (先是拒绝,后来)勉强同意,让步
to finally agree to what someone wants, after refusing for a period of time
He nagged me so much for a new bike that eventually I gave in. 他没完没了地缠着我要一辆新自行车,我最后只好答应了。
The government cannot be seen as giving in to terrorists' demands. 政府是不会让步答应恐怖分子的要求的。
B2 投降,屈服,认输
to accept that you have been defeated and agree to stop competing or fighting
You'll never guess the answer - do you give in? 你永远也猜不到答案的——你认输吗?
She wouldn't give in until she received a full apology. 她得不到正式道歉是不会善罢罢休的。
give something inB1 交上,呈交
to give a piece of written work or a document to someone to read, judge, or deal with
Have you given that essay in yet? 你把那篇论文交上去了吗?
give something off 发出,放出(热、光、气味或气体)
to produce heat, light, a smell, or a gas
That tiny radiator doesn't give off much heat. 那个小散热器散发不出太多热量。
give onto something formal面向,朝向;通向
to open in the direction of something
The patio doors give onto a small courtyard. 露台门通向一个小院子。
give out 出毛病,停止运转
If a machine or part of your body gives out, it stops working.
At the end of the race his legs gave out and he collapsed on the ground. 到比赛终点时,他腿一软倒在了地上。
give something out 把…送出
to give something to each of a number of people
They're giving out free tickets to the circus. 他们正在送出马戏团的免费门票。
give over 停止做,别再做(通常指令人不快的事情)
to stop doing something, usually something annoying
Oh (do) give over (= stop complaining), it's not my fault! 哎呀,别再抱怨了,又不是我的错!
[ + -ing verb ] It's time you gave over pretending you're still a teenager. 别再假装自己还是个十几岁的孩子。
give something over to something/someone 把…给(某人)使用;将…交托给(某人)
to give another person the use of something, or the responsibility for something or someone
We've given the attic over to the children. 我们已经把阁楼让给孩子们了。
give yourself over/up to something 致力于;沉溺于;放任自己(做某事)
to spend all your time and energy doing or feeling something
After her death he gave himself over to grief. 她去世后,他沉溺在悲痛中不能自拔。
give up 放弃猜测;认输
to stop trying to guess
You'll never guess the answer - do you give up? 你永远也猜不到答案的——你认输吗?
I give up - how many were there? 我猜不出来了——到底有多少?
give up something 放弃(某物的所有权或使用权);交出;让出
to stop owning and using something
They were forced to give up their home because they couldn't pay the mortgage. 他们因为还不起按揭被迫交出了房子。
不再抱有希望,放弃希望
to stop hoping that a particular thing will happen
We still haven't given up hope of finding her alive. 我们还没有放弃她生还的希望。
give up (something)B2 (通常因为太难而)终止,放弃
to stop doing something before you have finished it, usually because it is too difficult
[ + -ing verb ] I've given up trying to help her. 我已经放弃努力,不想再帮她了。
give (something) upB1 戒除
If you give up a habit, such as smoking, or something such as alcohol, you stop doing it or using it.
[ + -ing verb ] I gave up smoking two years ago. 我两年前戒的烟。
Don't offer him a cigarette, he's trying to give it up. 不要给他烟,他正在努力戒烟。
give something upB1 放弃,停止;辞去
to stop doing a regular activity or job
[ + -ing verb ] He's given up driving since his illness. 他自从生病后就不再开车了。
We're going to give up our sports club membership after this year. 过了今年我们就要放弃体育俱乐部的会员资格了。
请为(某人的表演)鼓掌
used to ask people to clap their hands to show their enjoyment or approval of a performance
Ladies and gentlemen, will you give it up for Danny Jones. 女士们,先生们,请以热烈的掌声感谢丹尼‧琼斯的精彩表演。
give someone up 与(某人)绝交,不再与(某人)交往
to stop having a friendship with someone
She seems to have given up all her old friends. 她好像和所有的老朋友都断绝了来往。
(also give up on someone)不再期望(某人)到来
to stop expecting that someone will arrive
I've been waiting half an hour - I'd almost given up on you. 我都等了半小时了——我差点以为你不来了呢。
对(某人)的生还不再抱有希望,认为(某人)将(或已经)死亡
to think that someone is certain to die or to be dead
The doctors had virtually given her up for dead, but she eventually recovered. 医生们实际上已经认定她救不活了,可她最终康复了。
After a three-day search on the mountain, they gave him up for dead. 在山中搜寻了3天后,他们认为他不可能再有生还希望,便停止了搜救。
give yourself up 投案,自首;投降
to allow the police or an enemy to take you as a prisoner
The gunman gave himself up to the police. 持枪歹徒向警察投降。
See also: give yourself over/up to something
give up on someone/something 预期…将会失败
to expect someone or something to fail
Most people gave up on him when he dropped out, but he went back and earned his degree two years later. 当他退学时,大部分人都对他不再抱有期望,但是他后来回来了并在两年后取得了学位。
give
noun [ U ] uk/ɡɪv/ us/ɡɪv/
(在压力下)伸长,弯曲,断裂,变松
the quality of stretching, bending, or breaking, or becoming less firm or tight, under pressure
A sweater knitted in pure cotton doesn't have much give (= will not stretch much). 纯棉编织衫的弹性不大。